Saturday, July 23, 2011

     No doubt the power of the music depends upon the grade of spiritual evolution that a person has touched. There is a story of a Hindu musician, Tansen, who was at the court of the great emperor Akbar. The emperor asked him: 'Tell me, O great musician, who was your teacher?' Tansen replied: 'My teacher is a very great musician - but more than that. I cannot call him musician, I must call him music'. Said the emperor: 'Can I hear him sing?' The musician answered: 'Perhaps. I may try. But you cannot think of calling him here to the court'. 'Shall I go where he is?'
'His pride may be revolted even there, thinking that he is to sing before a king'. 'Shall I go as your servant?' 'Yes, there is hope then'.

    So both of them went up into the Himalayas, into the high mountains where the sage had his temple of music in a cave, living with nature, in tune with the Infinite. When they arrived the musician was on horseback, the emperor walking. follow the crowd instead of following the great souls. All that is general is ordinary, because the great mass of people is not highly cultured. Things of beauty and good taste are understood, enjoyed and appreciated by few, and there is no way for the artist to reach those few. In this way, what is called uniformity has become a hindrance to individual development.

No comments:

Post a Comment